My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Saturday, January 07, 2006

truthiness

A panel of linguists has decided the word that best reflects 2005 is "truthiness," defined as the quality of stating concepts one wishes or believes to be true, rather than the facts.

That reminds me of a word my friends and I invented in high school--godish, meaning when humans portray godlike qualities. This has been an old testament godish year. This has been a truthy year. Everyone a little outraged beneath their complacency.

It's the 7th. Seven is my favorite number. I've already broken some of my resolutions, but I decided they are goals for the year; I will cease negative spirals, quit smoking, practice fearless giving in 2006...and then some. I am happy again, this time just because. Because of the lights I just put up around my windows, because I cleaned my car and my bathroom and my clothes today and I did it for me, because I'm going to retake the GRE's this week and finally actually apply for a doctoral program, because I smashed my finger and bruised my leg and I will survive and let them heal, because I am staying in to be calm and write, because of the new cafe that opened on Warren street and the view of the Hudson, because my neighbor dyed his hair purple, because I've done what I can, because I have a phone number to call for a woman who helps first time home-buyers, because a woman said to me today: you have perfect timing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home